At your initial consultation visit, you will meet your radiation oncologist. He will perform a comprehensive physical examination and take your medical history. Based on the information about your prostate cancer, he will discuss the best treatment options for you and your alternatives. There will be ample time for you to discuss your options. We understand that you may have many questions about your treatment and are sensitive to your needs. Some patients with prostate cancer are additionally treated with hormone therapies. These treatments can be discussed as well. We pay special attention to discussing the side effects of prostate cancer therapies and are available to guide you through your care. The Prostate Service Nurse, Ludene Wong, RN, MA is available to answer questions at 415-353-7175.
UCSF offers many clinical trials in radiation oncology that you may consider. Current trials can be reviewed at our website (http://radonc.ucsf.edu/prostate-cancer-trials). UCSF is a Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) member.
Many other services are available to the patients receiving care at UCSF. These services include movement classes, art therapy, educational lectures, support groups and nutrition counseling. Most services are provided free of charge. You can review the UCSF Joseph and Ida Friend Cancer Resource Center website at http://cancer.ucsf.edu/crc/. Please ask about our services! We are happy to be involved in your care!
Download our patient information pamphlets here:
- Active Surveillance for Prostate Cancer active_surveillance.pdf
- Advanced Prostate Cancer and its Treatment advanced_prostate.pdf
- Brachytherapy for Prostate Cancer brachytherapy.pdf
- Cryoablation of Prostate Cancer cryoablation.pdf
- Hormone Therapy for Prostate Cancer hormone_therapy.pdf
- Nutrition Prostate Cancer References nutrition&references.pdf
- Nutrition and Prostate Cancer nutrition.pdf
- Prostate Cancer - Who Needs Treatment? who_needs_treatment.pdf
- Prostate Cancer and Its Treatment treatment.pdf
- Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer radiation_therapy.pdf
- Transrectal Ultrasound Guided Prostate Biopsy transrectal_ultrasound_guided_prostate_biopsy.pdf
Helpful UCSF Medical Center Internet Sites:
UCSF Prostate Cancer Center..................................................http://www.ucsfhealth.org/clinics/prostate_cancer_center/index.html
UCSF Prostate Cancer Condition and Treatments.......................................http://www.ucsfhealth.org/conditions/prostate_cancer/index.html